Lobster stew is a rich and flavorful seafood dish that can be made at home with a few simple ingredients and a bit of patience. This recipe for a delicious lobster stew includes detailed instructions for each step of the process.
- 2 lobsters (about 1-1.5 lbs each)
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Start by preparing the lobsters. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lobsters and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until they turn bright red. Remove the lobsters from the pot and let them cool.
- Once the lobsters have cooled, remove the meat from the shells. Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the minced garlic, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the butter to the pot and let it melt. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the flour has turned slightly golden.
- Gradually pour in the water while stirring constantly to avoid lumps from forming. Once the water has been added, add the milk and heavy cream. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the lobster meat to the pot and stir to combine. Let the stew simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the lobster is cooked through and the flavours have melded together.
- Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the lobster stew hot, garnished with fresh parsley or chives.
- Use fresh, live lobsters for the best flavour.
- If you’re using frozen lobster meat, make sure to thaw it completely before adding it to the stew.
- You can add other seafood such as shrimp or scallops to the stew for added flavour and texture.
- To make the stew creamier, add more heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream.
- Lobster stew can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it gently over low heat before serving.
It is a relatively easy process to make lobster stew, but it does require a little bit of preparation. The end result, however, is well worth the effort. With the help of this detailed guide, you will be able to prepare a luxurious and flavorful lobster stew that is sure to leave a lasting impression on your loved ones.