Tater tots, also known as potato gems or potato puffs, are a popular snack and side dish made from grated potatoes that have been shaped into small cylindrical shapes and then fried or baked. They are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, making them the perfect addition to any meal. Here’s a recipe on how to make tater tots at home:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel and grate the potatoes using a box grater or a food processor.
- Place the grated potatoes in a colander and press out as much water as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes, flour, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into small cylindrical shapes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. The oil should be about 1/2 inch deep.
- Carefully add the tater tots to the hot oil, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tater tots from the oil and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce.
If you prefer to bake your tater tots, you can also preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and place the tater tots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminium foil. Cook the tater tots in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Tater tots can also be flavoured in different ways to suit your taste preferences. For example, you can add grated cheese, chopped herbs, or spices to the potato mixture before shaping and frying. They can be served with ketchup, barbecue sauce, ranch, or any other dipping sauce of your choice. You can also serve tater tots as a side dish with burgers, and sandwiches, or as a topping for a casserole.
Overall, making tater tots is an easy and fun process that can be enjoyed by the whole family. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can have a delicious and crispy batch of homemade tater tots ready to be enjoyed in no time.