Pot roast is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and perfect for a cosy Sunday dinner or a special occasion. To make a delicious pot roast, you will need a few basic ingredients and some time to let the roast cook slowly in the oven. Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
- 3-4 lb beef roast (chuck or round roast work well)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper together. Rub the mixture all over the roast, making sure to coat it evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the roast to the skillet and brown it on all sides. This should take about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Remove the roast from the skillet and place it in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the sliced onion, minced garlic, beef broth, and red wine (if using) to the pot.
- Arrange the chopped carrots, potatoes, and celery around the roast.
- Cover the pot and place it in the preheated oven. Cook for about 2-3 hours, or until the roast is tender and cooked through. Check the pot occasionally and add more beef broth or red wine as needed to keep the vegetables and roast moist.
- Once the roast is cooked, remove it from the pot and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- You can serve the pot roast with the vegetables and a little bit of the cooking liquid, or you can strain the liquid and make gravy.
Pot roast is a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed all year round. The recipe above is a simple and delicious way to make a pot roast, but there are many variations you can try. You can add different herbs and spices to the flour mixture, or use different types of vegetables. You can also use a slow cooker instead of the oven, which will give you a delicious pot roast with minimal effort.
One of the great things about pot roast is that it is a one-pot meal, making clean-up a breeze. The meat becomes incredibly tender and infused with the flavours of the vegetables and broth. Pot roast is a comforting and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed by the entire family.