Macaroni and cheese is a dish that combines cooked macaroni pasta with a cheese sauce, often made from cheddar cheese. It is a popular comfort food in the United States and is often served as a side dish or a main course. The dish can be made with a variety of cheeses and can also include ingredients such as milk, butter, and flour to create a creamy sauce.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the elbow macaroni and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture turns a light golden color.
- Slowly add the milk to the butter-flour mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Continue to cook, whisking occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it is fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked and drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the pasta is fully coated.
- Serve the macaroni and cheese immediately, garnished with additional shredded cheese and black pepper, if desired.
Some variations you can make to this recipe include:
- Use different types of cheese, such as Gouda, Gruyere, or Monterey Jack, to change up the flavour.
- Mix in some diced cooked bacon, ham, or chicken for added protein.
- Add some diced vegetables, such as broccoli or bell peppers, for added nutrition.
- Top the dish with breadcrumbs or crushed crackers for a crispy texture.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese in the oven for a few minutes for a crispy top.
Macaroni and Cheese is a classic comfort food, and it’s easy to make at home. With this recipe, you’ll have a delicious and satisfying meal in no time.