Indian frybread is a popular dish in Native American cuisine, typically served with savoury or sweet toppings. Here is a recipe for making Indian frybread at home:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Slowly add the warm water to the dry ingredients, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions and roll each piece into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball into a thin circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully place the dough circle into the hot oil and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the frybread from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the frybread warm, with toppings of your choice such as honey, jam, or savoury toppings like chilli, cheese or beans.
Indian frybread is a traditional dish that is usually made during special occasions or celebrations, it can be served sweet or savoury, and it’s a great way to enjoy a taste of traditional Native American cuisine. To make a sweeter version of fry bread, you can add a little more sugar and even cinnamon, you can also add a little bit of yoghurt or sour cream to make it more tender.
It’s a delicious, versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or topped with your favorite flavours. Indian frybread is a great way to bring a little bit of culture and tradition to your table.