Fajitas are a classic Tex-Mex dish that can be made with a variety of meats, including chicken, beef, pork, and shrimp. The key to making delicious fajitas is to marinate the meat in a flavorful mixture of spices and then cook it quickly over high heat.
To make chicken fajitas, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, chilli powder, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, and lime juice. Add the chicken strips and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over high heat. Add the chicken strips and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add a little more oil if needed and sauté the bell peppers and onions until they are slightly softened. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and toss to combine with the peppers and onions. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until everything is heated through.
- Serve the fajita mixture in warm flour or corn tortillas. You can top them with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, or cilantro if desired.
- For beef or pork fajitas, you can use the same marinade and cooking method, but use thinly sliced beef or pork in place of chicken. For shrimp fajitas, you can marinate the shrimp in the same mixture for about 10-15 minutes before cooking them for 2-3 minutes per side in the skillet.
Fajitas are a delicious and versatile dish that can be enjoyed any night of the week. By marinating the meat in a flavorful mixture of spices and cooking it quickly over high heat, you can create a delicious Tex-Mex meal that your whole family will love.