Cornbread is a staple in Southern cuisine and is a delicious side dish to any meal. It’s easy to make and can be prepared in just a few simple steps. Here’s how to make a classic Southern cornbread recipe.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg and then add the milk and vegetable oil. Mix well.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or a baking dish with butter or oil.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet or baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious cornbread with butter, honey, or your favourite toppings. For a variation, you can add in some diced jalapeños or green onions to give it a little kick.
Note: If you like sweeter cornbread you can increase the sugar quantity as per your taste.
This is a classic and easy recipe for making cornbread, it can be enjoyed with butter, honey, or your favourite toppings. Also, you can add some diced jalapeños or green onions to give it a little kick. The key is not to overmix the batter and to bake it at a high temperature. With this recipe, you will be able to make a delicious and classic Southern cornbread that is sure to please any crowd.