Chicken-fried steak is a classic Southern dish that consists of a beef steak that is breaded and deep-fried until crispy. It is usually served with gravy on top and can be paired with a variety of sides, such as mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans. Here’s a recipe for how to make chicken fried steak at home.
- 1 lb beef steak (such as round or cube steak)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Start by preparing the beef steak by pounding it with a meat tenderizer until it is about 1/4 inch thick. This will help the steak cook evenly and make it more tender.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix well.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat the eggs and milk together to make an egg wash.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. The oil should be hot enough that it sizzles when a drop of water is added to it.
- Dip the steak in the egg wash, making sure that both sides are well coated. Then, coat the steak in the flour mixture, pressing the flour mixture onto the steak to make sure that it sticks.
- Carefully place the steak in the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the steak is golden brown and crispy. Be sure to keep an eye on the oil temperature and adjust the heat as needed so that the steak doesn’t burn.
- Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Repeat the process with the remaining steak.
To make the gravy
- Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- Add about 1/4 cup of flour to the skillet, and stir it into the oil to make a roux. Cook the roux for about 1 minute, or until it turns a light brown colour.
- Slowly add milk or cream to the roux, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- Allow the gravy to simmer for a few minutes, or until it thickens.
- Serve the chicken fried steak with gravy on top and your favourite sides.
Chicken fried steak is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a family dinner or special occasion. By following the instructions above, you can easily make this classic Southern dish in the comfort of your own home. Enjoy!