Delmonico’s steak is a classic dish that has been served at the famous Delmonico’s Restaurant in New York City since the 1800s. The steak is a bone-in ribeye that is dry-aged and cooked to perfection. Here is a recipe for how to make Delmonico’s steak at home:
- 1 bone-in ribeye steak, at least 1 inch thick
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F.
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the butter and let it melt. Once the butter is hot, add the garlic and herbs. Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Place the steak in the skillet and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes, until a crust forms.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and cook for 6-8 minutes for medium-rare, 8-10 minutes for medium, and 10-12 minutes for well-done.
- Once the steak is cooked to your desired level of doneness, remove it from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy your Delmonico’s steak with your choice of side dishes.
Note: Delmonico’s steak is traditionally served with a side of Delmonico’s Potatoes, which are buttery, creamy, and rich.
When making Delmonico’s steak, it is important to use high-quality ingredients and to pay attention to the cooking process. The steak should be dry aged and at least one inch thick. Also, the steak should be seasoned well and seared on high heat to form a crust. And finally, it should be cooked in the oven for the best result. With this recipe, you can enjoy a classic Delmonico’s steak right in your own home.