Cioppino is a traditional Italian-American seafood stew that originated in San Francisco. It is a hearty dish that is perfect for a cold winter evening or as a special occasion meal. The following is a recipe for making Cioppino, along with some tips and tricks to help you make the best stew possible.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 2 cups of fish or seafood stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound of firm white fish, such as halibut or cod, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound of scallops
- 1 pound of mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pound of clams, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until softened and translucent.
- Add the white wine and fish or seafood stock, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes (if using), and salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the fish, shrimp, scallops, mussels, and clams to the pot. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the seafood is cooked through and the mussels and clams have opened.
- Discard any mussels or clams that do not open.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to use fresh, high-quality seafood for the best flavor and texture.
- Don’t overcook the seafood, as it can become tough and rubbery.
- If you prefer a thicker stew, you can add a little bit of flour or cornstarch to thicken the broth.
- If you want to add more heat, feel free to increase the amount of red pepper flakes.
- Serve the Cioppino with some crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth.
Cioppino is a delicious and hearty seafood stew that is perfect for a special occasion meal or a cold winter evening. With a little bit of preparation and the right ingredients, you can make a delicious Cioppino that will impress your friends and family. Enjoy!